10.30.2006

I Love the Nightlife, I got to Boogie...

18th Street Lounge-- DC's Best Worst-Kept Secret

If you were here asking me what I thought of the DC nightlife so far, you'd see me squint one eye, tilt my head to the right and say, "eeeeh. It's so-so."

And so-so it is indeed. It's a tiny one. It's a fratty one too. But nevertheless, you can WALK to it (10 points for DC!) which wouldn't happen in LA (minuses 10 points) if you lived within a mile of the place.

Other Pluses/Minuses:


**The cover charge and drinks are less/the cab ride home is pricey
**You don't need to valet (well, they usually don't even offer valet)/say goodbye to your super cute, but uncomfortable shoes because you'll never make it in those puppies to the place alive
**It is lacking a uber-trendy scene, which means you don't ever have to be dressed to the nines/you don't ever get to be dressed to the nines-- it's usually to the fours or fives
**It's easy to figure out what there is to do around town/all the good stuff is in shady neighborhoods. Also, there is an underground scene in DC that is very much NOT underground. For example, you'll go to a place with no sign on the door, but everyone and their mamas will be there (see 18th Street Lounge picture above)
**Adams Morgan: tons and tons of clubs and bars all conveniently located on one street/Adams Morgan: plenty of sleazy, skeezy men all conveniently located on one street
**There are plenty of late night eats/you are not likely to be out that late. There are more happy hours here than anything else

All in all, it's not a bad place to go out in once in a while, but the nightlife is definitely not its strong point. I don't mind though, because in trade, I have not met an overly-narcissistic Hollywood air-head to date. I am lucky that I will have visits back to Cali to balance it out though. Which reminds me, I will be in LA between 11/18-25 for Thanksgiving -- Dub Club anyone? Being in this chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption for so long has given me some rasta-cravings..."out in the streets, they call it murda..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home